The basketball court isn’t the only place to practice your 3-pointer. In the heat of the summer, the swimming pool might be where you’d rather be, so why not bring your game to the water?
Besides, any exercise in the pool makes the heat a little more bearable, and basketball is just one of a hundred great ways to make it more fun. Installing a poolside basketball hoop is easy to do and it will give everyone in your house a little more motivation to work out.
But finding the right one, just like all the other pool accessories, can get overwhelming because there are so many to choose from. That’s why we’ve lined out a few to make shopping easier for you.
These are our favs:
- SPLASH HOOP PRO: Slam dunk on summer pool parties with the GoSports Splash Hoop PRO - Includes 1 Splash Hoop Pro, 2 inflatable water basketballs, and ball pump for the ultimate swimming pool party game
- MAKE A SPLASH: Take the exciting action of basketball from the court to the pool and play like the pro’s with a robust 31” x 23” backboard and 14” rim specially engineered to withstand pool play
This poolside basketball hoop from GoSports comes complete with 2 inflatable balls and a pump. This one is designed to be held down with a water-filled base and comes with a 31”x23” backboard and standard rim.
The rim on this item is springy and it’s made to stay standing whether you’re shooting the ball from across the pool or giving it a slam dunk. And it’s fast and easy to set up for instant play.
- PRO STYLE HOOP: This pool basketball hoop is constructed with a 30" shatterproof backboard and a galvanized steel rim for an authentic, pro-style look and feel
- RUST- RESISTANT: The galvanized steel poles, rim and hardware are rust resistant and built to last in all weather conditions
The Franklin Sports Pool Basketball Hoop is a miniature version of the real thing. But it’s made tough to stand up to the roughest player.
It features a 30” shatterproof backboard and an unbreakable polyethylene frame. It’s got the pro glass look and just about the same strength.
The steel frame, rime, and hardware are rust-resistant, standing up to pool moisture and all kinds of weather for many years to come.
- POOL BASKETBALL & VOLLEYBALL: Pool basketball and volleyball combo set offers endless fun; includes all components to play either basketball or volleyball (water-filled bases, posts, nets, rims, balls, etc.)
- HEAVY-DUTY BASES: Two rotational molded bases hold 115lbs. of water each when filled for sturdy play.
This product is cool because of its versatility. It can be turned into either a basketball hoop or a volleyball net.
This product is vinyl coated for water resistance and durability. And the base can be filled with up to 100 lbs of water for extra stability.
The pieces come apart to create either a basketball goal or to hold up a volleyball net across the pool. It, of course, also comes with its own balls for either sport.
- Specially designed for poolside outdoor basketball action great for pool party or practicing your shot
- All-weather hard-body backboard measures 34-inches wide x 25.5-inches high
This Poolmaster basketball hoop has a little bit more of a fun look than a pro basketball look. But the reviewers don’t seem to mind and it’s consistently ranked among Amazon’s favorites.
This product holds up to rigorous play with its super tough blackboard and hefty weighted base. And it’s constructed from PVC and polyethylene that will stand up to the chemicals and humidity of a pool.
It comes with its own basketball and inflation needle so you can keep it aired up with a simple hand pump.
Another score for versatility, this set from SwimWays ensures your swimmers will never get bored. It includes everything you need for paddleball, volleyball, and basketball.
Set up the net across the pool and use it for volleyball or paddleball. Or attach the arms to the base and net for a basketball hoop.
It’s so easy even the kids can put it together — no tools required — and it comes with paddles, balls, supports, net, and hoop.
- 44” Shatterproof Fusion Backboard integrates a polycarbonate playing surface with an unbreakable polyethylene frame for a durable, pro glass look
- The pole is uv-protected and rust-resistant making it durable and strong. White 27 Gallon base provides stability and portability; Can be filled with water or sand
This basketball set by Lifetime is one of the sturdiest and most professional on the list. It comes with a 44” shatterproof fusion backboard and an unbreakable polyethylene frame.
What’s great about this hoop is that it’s completely adjustable from 4 to 6 ½ feet so that anyone can play. It also has a 2-piece steel powder-coated pole for rust resistance and durability.
This one does not come with its own ball, so you’ll need to purchase that separately.
- STURDY, SINGLE-PIECE RAIL, dual-post design with a 12" anchor setback
- SALT POOL FRIENDLY with Sealed Steel vinyl-coated frame and rim
OK, so this is a pricier poolside hoop, but we had to include it for the serious enthusiasts who need to play some real ball without worrying about tipping it over.
What’s different about this one is that it anchors to the side of the pool with steel posts for a sturdier structure. However, it doesn’t have to be permanent. It is made to be removed when you want to put it away. All you have to do is cover the holes with optional anchor caps you can buy separately.
The steel frame has a thick vinyl coating for water resistance and it comes with a regulation rim, net, basketball, needle, plastic anchor, and salt-friendly emblems. That’s right! It’s made to be compatible with saltwater pools. Where most items will deteriorate quickly in this environment, this one will stand the test of time.
- Many ports for multiple shooters including a specially-made port specifically for our signature water skipping ball
- Includes an inflatable basketball hoop, inflatable basketball, water skipping swimming pool ball, and a pump with needle for the inflatable pool basketball
This hoop’s a little bit different than the others on the list for a few reasons. First, it’s inflatable so it’s lightweight and easy to store. Second, it can float right on the water. And third, it has multiple ports for multiple shooters so no one has to wait their turn.
The kit comes with the inflatable hoop floater, a basketball, a water skipping ball, and a pump. But you’re highly encouraged to bring out your other balls since there are so many ways to play.
What’s that about a water skipping ball? Well, there’s a special port made just for that and it’s a totally different game.
- Specially designed for poolside basketball action; sits on deck for in-ground or above ground pools
- Durable all-weather materials; hard-body backboard measures 34-inches wide x 25.5-inches high
We like this hoop because it’s lightweight enough to be safe for the kiddos but still challenging enough for the older gang.
It sits on the deck with its sand or water-weighted base and is specially designed with durable all-weather materials. The set includes a 34” x 25.5” hard-body backboard, polyform base, 14” hoop, all-weather net, and game ball with inflation needle.
- FLOATING BASKETBALL SET: Great for pool parties, endless summer days, and vacations, this inflatable pool game set includes 1 floating net and 1 ball; Carry/storage bag included; For ages 5 and up
- GREAT FOR KIDS: An ideal swimming pool game for travel, the inflatable basketball has a textured grip for non-slip performance; The whole set folds flat for easy storage
We included this inflatable for people who just want a simple, cheap, portable hoop they can take anywhere. This one is small and lightweight and can be quickly inflated or deflated whenever you’d like.
This is a simple floating hoop that’s great for pool parties, beaches, or vacations. It comes with its own ball that has a textured surface for easy grip, and a carry bag for easy toting. It’s great for kids of all ages, but recommended for ages 5 and up.
- Commercial-quality swimming pool basketball hoop and ball
- Adjustable height to accommodate players of various ages
Rather than just having to rely on sand or water to weigh this basketball system down, this poolside basketball set has a uniquely designed super wide base that balances it away from the pool area.
The blackboard on this one is a little larger than some at 44 inches wide and 32 inches tall. This helps with rebounding so you’re not constantly overshooting the ball.
This is a commercial quality game set with a regulation game ball, metal hoop, heavy-duty net, and sturdy fillable base.
- MAKE A SPLASH: Beat the buzzer and the heat this summer with the GoSports Splash Hoop 360
- Includes 1 Splash Hoop, 2 Water Basketballs, and 1 Ball Pump for the ultimate swimming pool party game!
Another floating basketball game, the GoSports Splash Hoop 360 is at the top of its game. Its modern design makes it appealing to even the pickiest of pool owners. And its taller floating style makes it challenging enough for the older kids to enjoy.
This hoop is extremely well-built to withstand all the rough and tumble pool play your kids can dish out. And the sturdy, wide-based frame is hard for them to tip over.
It assembles in seconds with the included air pump and comes with 2 inflatable balls for hours of fun.
Why play basketball in the pool, you ask? (Or maybe you’re not asking since you’re here reading this article). There are plenty of reasons!
First of all, any activity in the pool is a good cardio workout. It adds resistance to your body while gently cushioning your joints.
Secondly, it will give you something more fun to do than just splash around for a few minutes. If you’re looking for a way to keep your kids active outdoors, this is a great way to do it.
Of course, we don’t even have to mention all the benefits of exercise in general for the body and the mind. But add to that a backyard pool and your family will be playing hard all summer.
Just keep your own criteria for a poolside basketball hoop in mind when making your purchase and you’re sure to find one the whole family will enjoy.